City taxes are used to charge guests for any local fees and taxes, like the Resort tax for example. When configuring your rates, you can choose if the set room price includes the City tax or not. Depending on your choice, the configured City tax amounts will be added to the room price or they will be deducted from this price.
Clock PMS+ supports several methods of the City tax calculation that can be combined:
- Fixed room price per night;
- Fixed price for a bed per night, differentiated for an adult and child;
- Room price percentage;
To configure the parameters of your City tax, go to the Navigation bar and select Settings->All Settings->City Tax.
Complete the settings, as follows:
- Skip nights(1) - the set number of nights will be skipped and no City tax will be charged/deducted for these nights;
- Max nights(2)- if the tax is levied up to a certain number of nights, here you can enter the maximum number of nights, for which the City tax will be charged/deducted. The nights beyond this number will not be subject to the City tax.
- Additional Revenue Categories(3) - this setting refers to the Room price percentage method. By default, the percentage tax base is the services of the 'ROOMS' and 'PACKAGES' revenue groups. In addition, you can also add services of the rest of the revenue groups to the tax base.
Example: If you offer a package service (bed and breakfast) and the tax is to be levied on the package price, the room accommodation revenue is registered under the 'ROOMS' revenue group, and the revenue from the breakfast - to the 'FOOD & BEVERAGE' revenue group. To properly calculate the City tax, it is necessary to include the respective revenue category of the breakfast to the tax base.
- Append tax calculation description to Text(4) - if selected, the details of the calculation method are to be added to the tax description. This way the presentation of the tax in documents will be clearer.
- Text(5) - specify the name of the charge representing the tax
- Revenue category(6) - it will list the values for the 'City Tax' Revenue group, if any.
- Currency(7) - select the currency of the tax.
- Tax% (8) - If this local tax is subject to some other tax, specify its rate.
- Tax Code(9) - If the Tax requires separate reporting you can use the Tax Code field. This will add an additional column in your tax report as well as an additional row in the tax table of the Folios.
- Print text(10) - This is the text that will be shown on the Folios of the guests. If empty, the value from field "Text" will be used
- Hide on the posting screen(11) - the city tax charge will not be available to be added manually to the folios.
Tax amount configuration
To configure the tax amount, in the Tax seasons section, you need to add a season. Select the start date of the season. If your tax does not change with the season, just define one season and it will apply for the whole year. If over time, changes to the tax amount occur, simply add a new season and set the start date for the new tax rate.
To illustrate how the various tax calculation methods work, we will examine a few examples For all examples, it is supposed that following City tax option is selected: 'Additional, Separate charge', e.g. the tax is not included in the prices and is charged on top of the room price. In the examples, the 'Append tax calculation description to Text' .
- Fixed room price per night, regardless of the number and type of guests. Enter the amount in the "Price night".
Example: A booking for 2 nights, guest number: 2 adults and 1 child. The room price is EUR 100, the tax amount is EUR 1 per room per day.
2. Fixed price for a bed per night, differentiated for an adult and child. In this case, enter the respective amounts in the “Price adult” and “Price child“ fields.
Example: A booking for 2 nights, guest number: 2 adults and 1 child. The room price is EUR 100, the tax amount is EUR 1 per adult per day and EUR 0.50 per child per day.
3. Room price percentage. It is calculated as a percentage of the final room price. The tax base is all services of the 'ROOMS' and 'PACKAGES' revenue groups, plus the categories checked in 'Additional Revenue Categories' setting. Enter the percentage amount in the “Percent” field;
Example: A booking for 2 nights, guest number: 2 adults and 1 child. The room price is EUR 100, the tax amount is 2% the room price.
4. Complex City tax. You can combine the above 3 methods.
Example: A booking for 2 nights, guest number: 2 adults and 1 child. The room price is EUR 100, the tax amount is EUR 1 per adult per day and EUR 0.50 per child per day, plus 0.5% of the room price.
City tax maximum amount restriction
The setting is applicable to the Room price percentage method. Through the fields, you can control the maximum amount of the tax to be applied if the premise is rented. The system will determine the City tax maximum amount as a product of the number of adults and the number of children from the booking, using the maximum values set.
If the percentage tax calculated is higher than the restriction, the restriction value is taken. To use this feature, you need to complete both restriction fields.
More details about the various tax modes supported by the rats and how the City tax is used in bookings can be found HERE.