Following up on the Housekeeping V2 Settings article, here you can find out about the operations that can be made in the Housekeeping V2 functionality.
Housekeeping Activity Forecast
After creating the schemes, the system will generate a housekeeping forecast based on the entered bookings. It accounts for maintenance shifts and two other options discussed below: 'Arrival housekeeping activities' for a specific booking and housekeeping activities related to certain rates and packages.
The forecast gives you info of each date – number of tasks and sum of credits. Based on the number of credits for a housekeeper predefined by you, i.e. how much work a housekeeper can daily handle, the system calculates how many housekeepers will be needed for the expected amount of work.
The Housekeeping activity forecast can be opened from 'Other' - 'Reports' - 'Housekeeping Forecast'.
Arrival housekeeping activities for a given booking
If a booking requires a certain special room preparation, you can specify this in the booking itself. For example, VIP consumables or a special request of the guests. These activities are also included in the forecast.
On the booking edit screen, select the necessary activities in the 'Arrival Housekeeping Activities' field. You can use the existing housekeeping notes. To avoid the creation of activities for each special request, you can create only one activity, named Special Arrival Activities, for example, and describe its specifics in a housekeeping note to the booking. The notes in bookings will continue to appear in the Housekeeping Task Report.
Housekeeping activities related to certain rates, packages or additional services
To automatically relay the information coming from the sales department to the housekeeping department, you can specify a housekeeping scheme in the charge templates. This way, there is a link among the additional services, rates (through the charge templates for the package elements) and the specific housekeeping activities. The housekeeping schemes without a room type are designed this way, because otherwise they will automatically be applied instead of being only activated when there is a charge (for a room, additional service or package element) linked to the this housekeeping scheme for the given date.
You can use this feature to solve the issues with additional beds and baby cots, as well as the stocking of special consumables related to various packages. Here is how:
If for a specific date, there is a posted charge containing a housekeeping scheme, this scheme will be activated on this date. This doesn't mean there should necessarily be an activity for this date under this scheme.
Here is another example concerning additional beds:
- Set two activities: "Additional bed" and "Additional bed sheet change";
- Set an 'Additional bed' scheme without specifying any room type;
- Create a scheme line with 'Additional bed' activity set on arrival;
- Create another scheme line with 'Additional bed sheet change' to be performed each N days;
- Set a charge template (or edit an existing one) and select the above scheme in it (by going to 'Other' - 'Settings' - 'Charge Template' - Creation/Edit screen of the Charge Template - 'Housekeeping Template' field);
- If you have rates including an additional bed, add this charge template to the packages containing an additional bed. If you don't use rate packages, add the housekeeping scheme to the room charge of the rate including an additional bed (In the booking Folio, you need to click "Edit" next to the room charges and select the desired Scheme in the "Housekeeping template" field.
- Create a booking with this rate and charge the additional service;
- You can use the Housekeeping Forecast to check if the above activities are accordingly shown for the arrival and the rest of the days of the stay;
Housekeeping Task Management
Thus defined activities, schemes, booking specifics, as well as packages, charges and rates will form the actual tasks for each date. A housekeeping task is a particular task defining when, where and by whom certain activities are to be performed. The completed tasks from the previous days are stored as an archive (more information can be found in the Task Archive section below).
The housekeeping task management for a date follows these steps:
- Creation of tasks for the given date
- Task prioritization
- Task distribution among the housekeepers
- Change of the status of each task
- Addition of new tasks for the housekeepers or the maintenance staff
Creation of tasks for the given date
At the beginning of each day, set the tasks for this day. Go to 'Availability' - 'Housekeeping Tasks' - 'Generate'. You will see how many tasks will be created. Confirm.
Tasks are created as "Unassigned", i.e. it is not set who is to perform a certain task. Please note that if you have tasks set for arrival, the arrival bookings must have allocated rooms because the rule is that each task is to be linked to a room. Only then you will be able to see the info of the booking-related tasks.
Each task has a certain priority. It can be determined automatically or manually. The task priority level affects the arrangement of tasks in the reports for the housekeepers (Housekeeping Tasks), so that they are informed of the tasks of the highest priority. With the automatically created tasks, the priority is determined based on whether there is an early arrival or late departure. Early arrival and Late departure have been added as new options to bookings. If you have an early arrival, the cleaning tasks have a high priority. A late departure lowers the priority level of the cleaning tasks, and the rest of the tasks get a normal priority level. You can change the priority of each task using the star button next to it, clicking it as many times as you need to reach the desired priority level.
Task distribution among the housekeepers
The distribution can be manual or automatic. To automatically distribute the tasks, go to 'Availability' - 'Housekeeping Tasks' - 'Auto Assign'. The system will suggest the necessary number of housekeepers for the tasks (based on the sum of credits). You can choose among how many housekeepers the tasks to be distributed. The system will use the housekeeper number given by you to distribute the tasks and create a list of tasks for each of these housekeepers. The system will also assign a consecutive number to each list: 1, 2, 3, etc.
Housekeeping Tasks automatic distribution. There are two algorithms which will determine how will the tasks be distributed between the housekeepers.
- On the screen for automated task distribution (after you click the "Auto Assign" button) among housekeepers, you can choose the Algorithm to be used: Optimal or Stable Order.
- Optimal: This is an algorithm letting you take an advantage of the equal distribution of tasks among housekeepers, however, sometimes they may receive tasks in different housekeeping sectors (more information about the Housekeeping Sectors can be found at the end of the article).
- Stable Order: This is an older algorithm prioritizing the order of housekeeping sectors, however, sometimes housekeepers are not equally assigned tasks.
- Test both methods of distribution and select the more suitable for you.
- You can choose which of the methods to be the default one by going to 'Other' - 'Settings' - 'Housekeeping Credits' - Housekeeping task assignment algorithm field.
Here is a little more info on how the automated task distribution works:
- The unassigned tasks are ordered by room number following the room sorting order set by you. If the rooms have Housekeeping Sectors assigned - the tasks will be distributed by sectors.
- When distributing the tasks, the system aims at evenly distributing the workload among the given number of housekeepers while accounting for the set number of credits.
- If there is more than one task for a room, all of these tasks are given to one and the same housekeeper.
- The rooms selected for a housekeeper are assigned following the defined room order, so that they are as close to one another as possible. Depending on the hotel occupancy, however, the tasks can be located on several consecutive floors. If you wish, you can specify a name (housekeeper) for each of the already numbered lists. Click the button next to the number and enter a name or select one of the already existing names by typing the first letters of that name. Use this feature to also transfer all tasks from one housekeeper to another. You can easily transfer tasks among housekeepers. Simply choose one or more tasks and click the "person" button from the side panel. Fill in the name or select one from the list. The same way, you can manually distribute tasks among housekeepers. The task management allows the quick filtering and printing of the tasks of a housekeeper. Just select the housekeeper's name (or number) from the panel. Click 'All' to see all housekeepers
Change of the status of each task and the link to room statuses
The final room status as appearing on the Room Calendar or other reports is determined on the basis of the task statuses related to this room. If the task status is 'Dirty', the room status is also 'Dirty'. If the task is completed, the room status is 'Clean'. If you have a room with different task statuses, the room status becomes the lowest one of them (Dirty).
The other task statuses are: 'Progress' – the task is being performed at the moment; 'Inspect' – the task is to be inspected by a senior staff member to be completed. There is one additional status explained below.
Tasks not linked to a room status
If you have a task that, in your opinion, shouldn't affect the room status (i.e. it should not prevent the guest check-in to this room ), select 'Task' as its status. This way, this task won't lead to the room having a 'Dirty' status, but it will be present on the task list. You can use such tasks when it comes to minor maintenance issues, e.g. "battery change of a remote control' or requests of your guests regarding lower pillows or an additional blanket. These tasks will replace the the old Housekeeping Warning field preserving their functionality.
Through the 'Housekeeping Task Archive' Report, you can review the list of completed tasks for a period. Using the room or housekeeper filters, you can easily track all the housekeepers having entered a certain room, for example. The report can be accessed by going to 'Other' - 'Reports' - 'Housekeeping Tasks'.
You can use the Housekeeping Report to check and update the Housekeeping Status and Tasks of your rooms. The Housekeeping Report can be accessed from 'Availability' - 'Housekeeping Report'. If you are using Housekeeping V2, make sure that you click on the "New Version" button, otherwise you may have some discrepancies in the results.
Housekeeping Live Monitor
The Housekeeping Live Monitor is used to track the tasks and Housekeeping notes of the rooms in real time. The monitor provides an option to notify you with a sound when there is an update for any of the rooms. Additionally, there is a color coding which will help you track all changes.
By clicking on a certain room, you will be able to make changes to it's tasks, or set them as completed. The monitor is placed in menu Availability -> Housekeeping Live Monitor.
Lost and found
This options is used to register found or lost property of guests. You can add various information of the found or lost property to the register, including a photo of it. Search by custom text or period of losing or finding of such property. To use the module, go to 'Other functionalities' – 'Lost & Found'.